Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Attend Physical Therapy Following A Car Accident Contributed by Aquacare Physical Therapy
1. Physical Therapy Helps Shorten the Recovery Process: Many people that are in a car accident don’t realize immediately that they may have received a serious injury. When they do realize how the injuries are affecting their everyday life, they may turn to pharmaceuticals or other opioids to decrease the pain. Today the opioid epidemic is at record high, and as health professionals we are trying to stop it. PT is an option that can be utilized to avoid abusing opioids. Common injuries that occur from a car accident is pain, muscle stiffness, reduced range of motion, and chronic headaches. All of these can be treated by a Physical therapist versus the use of Opioids or other habit-forming medications.
2. Physical Therapy Focuses on Function: Initially after a car accident you may want to stay still and not due much, to avoid increased pain. However, physical therapy will help and guide you towards a more functional lifestyle. Physical therapy decreases stiffness in the head, neck, shoulder, and even low back, decreases tingling ad numbness in arms or legs, and can help improve range of motion. After a physical therapist works these problems out, they begin adding functional activities, squats, lifting and even walking to better your results from the accident.
3. Physical Therapy Can Prevent Long-Term Damage and Chronic Pain. If you begin PT immediately after a car accident, you help improve strength, flexibility and mobility, but you can also prevent long-term damage like chronic pain. You are more likely to live a relatively pain-free life for years when addressing acute injuries as soon as possible. Research shows that if physical therapy is not started in the first few weeks of the injury the statistics show that the injury will pass into a chronic state ( greater than 12-16 weeks) and becomes much harder treat because the injury is now driven by central brain mechanisms versus local tissue responses.
4. Physical Therapy is non-invasive: Some serious accidents will require surgery, however non-life-threatening injuries, can be treated at Physical therapy. A physical therapist knows what to specifically focus on to improve injuries from the accident. Physical therapy helps strengthen vulnerable muscles, tendons, and ligaments, which then helps protect various structures. Physical is also more cost effective than surgery.
5. It shows you are committed to getting better: When you are coming to therapy regularly after a car accident, it shows you want to get better, and get back to a healthier lifestyle. Coming to physical therapy, ad actively participating in PT, for an injury from an accident, justifies your injury that has occurred.
Written by Kaitlyn Willin PTA is seeing patients in Salisbury, MD.
Aquacare Physical Therapy is committed to early intervention following a car accident and providing timely communication to our lawyers and case managers. To schedule a free consultation with one of our therapists please click https://aquacarephysicaltherapy.com/free-consultation/